5 Reasons to Plant a Garden this Spring
“The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses.” Hanna Rion
Springtime is upon us and the garden is calling. If planted in the spring, fruits and vegetables ripened by the summer sun will be ready for your dinner table in just a couple of months.
You may be considering planting a garden this year, and if so, let us persuade you! The following are just a few reasons you may consider planting a garden now:
- It’s Delicious! There is nothing quite like a vine-ripened tomato, picked straight out of the garden. The taste and quality of fruits and vegetables grown in your own backyard will astound you.
- Organic Foods Organic food means food grown without pesticides and environmental toxins. Simply put, when you eat organic foods you keep unwanted toxins out of your body and preserve our environment.
- Exercise Gardening is great exercise! Months of planting, watering, weeding and harvesting means that even if you aren’t doing much more than piddling around in the garden, you’re still engaging in healthy, regular physical activity.
- Mental Health According to Dr. Mercola, gardening can help relieve depression. In fact, he attributes the “wellbeing of gardeners to the “recharging” you get from sticking your hands in the soil and spending time outdoors in nature.”
- Cost Effective Have you ever noticed that your friends with fruit or vegetable gardens have an endless supply of fresh goodies? Grapefruit, summer squash, plums, tomatoes – endless! The fact of the matter is that gardening can be quite cost effective in terms of the return you get on your investment. A little time spent in the garden today can yield quite a bounty all summer long.
What will you be planting this spring? Let us know in the comments section below!